Saturday 16 July 2011

Thing 4: Online profile

I have been busy looking at twitter accounts, rss feeders & pushnotes.
After assessing the level of involvement - time, patience, etc - each
needs I've decided to stick with just the blog & the rss feeders for
the moment. I do have a twitter account - @CJSciFi - but frankly I'm
not sure if Ihave the time or patience to keep updating it as often as
it seems to need updating (based on other twitter sites I've looked
at) but I will try my best when I can. I'm not brilliantly technically
minded so if anyone knows any updating shortcuts or a way of updating
twitter from my blog so it can do it all in one place at one time that
would be brilliant.
I have had a brief look at pushnote & set up an account but haven't
been able to use it yet as it only works on full pc/laptop & not on
smart phones - I spend a lot of my online time on the move between
places, so I'm not sure how useful it will end up being. Worse still
it means yet anotjoher email/password/username to remember. I know
these days things like Windows 7 (which I haven't loaded yet because
it means messing around taking EVERYTHING off my hard drive onto disk
then putting it all back on) & the Cloud are suposed to make life
easier, but why can't someone invent some kind of platform where you
log in with just ONE username & password & your automatically logged
in to your work email, home email, twitter & everything else. I did
attend a talk recently at the Oxford TeachMeet, entitled 'Your
password sucks', which suggested a way of reducing the amount of
password info you need to remember which I may give a try. Basically
you choose a sentence (e.g. Favourite song lyric) & use the first
letter of eachword as your master password (sittin' on the dock of the
bay wasting time = sotdotbwt). This remains tge same for all your
passwords, you just add a new 4 digit suffix for each one. This means,
in theory, all you have to remember is the master password as you can
keep a list of the suffixes written doen or on your phone without
worrying that someone could use them to access your bank or email or
whatever. Has anyone tried anything like this, if so is it as easy as
it sounds?
--
Sent from my mobile device

1 comment:

  1. Great tip, thanks for sharing. I have to request a new password every time I login to some services so I will be taking that handy tip and run with it.

    ReplyDelete