Saturday 2 July 2011

The Google game

I'm still trying to find an appropriate photo but I just did that
thing where you google your own name. I got really excited for a
second thinking there was someone else with my name in the same town,
turns out I'm on the electoral roll twice. One of the things I noticed
that was missing from my profile was an obvious involvement in
advocacy, policy setting, etc. It's not that I'm not involved in
various projects or acting as an 'advocate', it's just that what I'm
doing isn't 'registering' in professional publications. The result
being a catch-22 where I apply for roles in advocacy groups or
conference grants & don't get them because I don't show an awareness
or involvement in national advocacy & policies, but if I don't get the
role how am I supposed to show my involvement or become more involved
in future campaigns. I'll have to have a very long hard think about it
& see if I can figure out a way round it. Meanwhile I'm quite busy
over the next couple of weeks. I'm giving a presentation at Oxford
University club on the 12th on the topic of 'Adding value to
collections' & next week there's all sorts happening with our local
libraries 'LGBT in Libraries' project so fingers-crossed that will be
moving on fairly quickly.
--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments:

Post a Comment