Monday 20 June 2011

Welcome to the blog

I joined the 23 Things course because I wanted to expand my professional knowledge & learn more about how to make use of the available technology for things like marketing, networking & a lot more. Although I completed my masters in information & library management & have since spent 3 years actually working in a library & archive & have taken on a lot of new professional skills there are some areas that are still largely theory in my experience, such as blogging & ways of making full use of the interent. I'm hoping that this course will help me to learn more about what's available & how I can use it in my own professional development or to benefit my library.
Step one will obviously be to have a closer look at the options for designing a blog & give this a more professional appearance.
I'm also hoping that my involvement in this course will help to illustrate my level of professional commitment & give me the opportunity to begin 'publishing' on a professional forum. Publishing professionally is one of the areas of professional development that I'm having a problem with - it seems to be something of a chicken & egg situation, every time I send in papers or articles for consideration or apply for inclusion in conferences (either as a delegate or a speaker) a lot of the responses seem to give the impression that while interesting my articles don't have the right kind of .... professional profile or something, because I haven't been published. Leaving the question of how do you raise your professional profile in order to get published if no-one will publish you. So I am really hoping that this course gives me the opportunity to begin to raise my profile & hopefully find new forums for publishing as part of my continued professional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment