Thursday 11 August 2011

Things 8 & 9 - Is the world being overrun by computers?

I tend to use windows calendar as it is already compatible & synced with my work-Outlook calendars & my email, etc. Also I can access it from any of my devices, including my work PC, unlike the google calendar. We have Kiosk filtering/security software on our PCs at work which block a lot of sites that most servers would consider 'normal'. Unfortunately the software has a completely unpredictable filter with a mind of its own which means that we can use Google Search, I can log into my blogs using Google & a lot more besides but we can't connect with Google calendar or Google mail. Why the distinction, or how to get round it, no-one knows, & Windows is just as bad - I can sync with my windows calendar but I can't access my hotmail account. I usually end up spending at least part of my time each day madly flicking through the different parts of my different accounts transferring things from to another to try & get emails sent & calendars updated, & wondering why they can't invent a single software access point that would do it all & really could be accessed anywhere(when I'm particularly stressed, & feeling cynical, I usually decided that it's because they would only be able to sell us one lot of software & wouldn't be able to flog us all sorts of security & compatibility patches over & over again to make all our hardware/software work with every other bit of our hardware/software). So I probably won't be using the Google calendar for anything that needs to be shared or synced but then I had the idea that it might be good to have a second seperate calendar for my personal diary dates that I don't want to share - Dr's appointments, family birthdays, etc - which I could access at home or on my personal smart phone. In theory this sounded like a good idea but when it came to putting it in practice I found that while I could quite easily access the calendar from my home PC if I tried using my smart phone it would block me as not having the correct software to run it - I have no idea why & if anyone can give me some idea of how to fix the issue you would probably save my sanity (or at least prevent me from chucking the whole lot out of a 2nd story window!). Thought for the day: Why do so-called 'labour saving gadgets' take up more time than doing it the old way?

I haven't had much chance to use Evernote yet but I think it is going to be more useful than Google calendar, particularly as I will soon be undertaking some research into how different libraries & archives have used their websites to market their collections - particularly any that have trade literature &/or digital/virtual collections. Being able to annotate the websites as I'm looking at them rather than constantly flicking through different documents to save information & observations should make life easier (fingers crossed). I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment